FiiO is about to release the second generation X5 digital audio player. We have just gotten our hands on the latest X5 and we have taken some side-by-side shots of the upcoming and outgoing X5 models. At the time of this post, FiiO still has not released the official specifications to the X5 2nd gen. We will compare the two generations with all the information that we have so far. We will also show you the physical differences between the X5 1st and 2nd generation models.
The new X5 builds upon the success of the 1st gen. with some evolutionary updates. The internals are new and upgraded, with new amps and DAC, plus architectural changes. The exterior is redesigned, and now resembles its FiiO DAP siblings, the X1 and X3.
Visually, the 2nd gen is smaller than the predecessor. We took some measuremeants and found that the 2nd gen is indeed smaller in every dimension and lighter.
2nd Gen: 4.2 x 2.4 x 0.35 in., 6 oz
1st Gen: 4.4 x 2.6 x 0.39 in., 6.7 oz
Here are the rest of the information that FiiO has released so far, plus some additional comparison photos.
- All-new exterior design, improved build, with metal finish changed from powdered to brushed;
- More compact and lightweight; smaller black borders around LCD;
- All-new independent amplification stage with analogue volume control, increasing audio resolution and enabling feature for native DSD decoding;
- All new digital audio architecture, utilizing dual crystal oscillators dedicated to multiples of 44.1 and 48kHz respectively (including 176.4kHz=4×44.1, 192kHz=4×48 and DSD64 and DSD128 (multiples of 44.1), handling all major sample rates without resampling artifacts and minimal jitter;
- Supporting native DSD decoding and DSD ISO decoding;
- Supporting CTIA-standard in-line earphone remotes (e.g. Apple, Samsung compatible earphones)
- Breakthrough power architecture design that utilizes different system voltages for low and high gain, allowing maximum flexibility between long endurance and high driving power in the same unit.
- All-new power management feature: auto standby mode allows player to remain in standby for weeks, ready to continue playing instantly.
- Coulomb meter for precise battery level readouts.
Output power：>255 mW（32Ω/THD+N＜1%)
THD+N：<0.001%（1 kHz, PO）
SNR: ≥117 dB (A-weighted, PO)
Charging Time：＜4 h (DC5V 2A)
Battery Life：＞10 h (32Ω; normal volume with display off )